Starting up…!

Lindsay Jordan, Chris Follows and John Jackson at the project start-up meeting; 04.10.11

DIAL team members Lindsay, Chris and John

Today John, Chris and I attended the Digital Literacies programme start-up meeting in Birmingham. We gave a super-fast elevator pitch for the DIAL project and heard the other eleven teams’ pitches. A couple of the projects from outside our own cluster that might be useful to keep an eye on are Cardiff’s ‘Digidol’ project, which is also looking at new ways of developing staff and student skills across the institution, and the University of Bath’s PriDE project, which is also focusing on discipline-specific and stakeholder-led approaches to developing digital literacy.

Martin Oliver and Lesley Gourlay (IoE)

Martin Oliver and Lesley Gourlay from IoE

Within our own cluster there is plenty of potential for ideas-sharing; the

Institute of Education (IoE) is also going to be identifying a number of small pilot projects – although they will be focusing on four to our sixteen, and their plan incorporates a substantial consultation and research phase. Martin Oliver and Lesley Gourlay (pictured) were the team members present at the meeting.

Antony Coombs and Mark Kerrigan from Greenwich (& Peter Chatterton centre)

Antony Coombs and Mark Kerrigan from Greenwich (Peter Chatterton centre)

The University of Greenwich project team are looking at digital literacies from an employability angle and are going to be focusing on students at key transitional stages. We met Antony Coombes and Mark Kerrigan, as well as Peter Chatterton (centre in the pic); who is primarily independent, but associated with Greenwich. I had an interesting chat with Peter about other synergies and collaboration opportunities with Engineering and the Arts, thinking specifically about what Arts students could teach Engineers about process skills and creative practices.

Clive Young and Stefanie Anyadi

Clive Young and Stefanie Anyadi from UCL

University College London’s project – The Digital Department – is aimed specifically at teaching administrators, who in many HEIs run the show in terms of VLE management etc.. Although at UAL much of this kind of work is carried out by course directors, it may be the case that one or more of our 16 communities is administration-focused, and in any case I think it will be really interesting for us to see how this kind of set-up works in other HEIs.

The Lovely Carol

Carol Baume, Critical Friend for the London Cluster

During the afternoon sessions we gleaned some great advice from our Critical Friend, Carol Baume. Carol agreed with us that getting interim project management in place is a real priority, so that we can start working with a first handful of identified communities. Getting something started with just a couple of groups is a good move as we will be able to apply lessons learned with subsequent groups, and provide them with models and examples to work with.

Carol suggested simply putting together a basic resource that will enable one or two groups – ideally those who have worked with us previously and are already well-defined – to provide us with their digital literacy goals and ideas for the assessment of existing skills and confidence levels (baselining).  A preliminary meeting of one or two members of the project team with key members from the community in question would be required, although this could take place virtually.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Starting up…!

1. Shân Wareing says:

Thanks for such a speedy update Lindsay, and to you, John and Chris for attending the event. I appreciate the overview of the day, and I’m glad you were there to present the UAL DIAL project. Lovely to see the smile of my friend Carole Baume on the Blog, and great to hear she’s our critical friend! Long time no see for Martin & Lesley at the IoE too!

The DIAL Project Manager post is about to be advertised internally, finally – sorry it’s taken so long. Should be out this week & I’ll respond to any direct expressions of interest too. It’s 0.5fte grade 5 for 2 years

2. Ellen Sims says:

Yes, many of the usual suspects! But there does seem to be a certain maturity to the projects, in timeliness and relevance and built on experience. Should be an exciting season.

3. Doug Belshaw says:

Good stuff, Lindsay! Look forward to visiting UoA in November. 🙂

• Dayana says:

On voudrait faire passer les psy. pour des charlatans, on n’ecrirait pas mieux que cet article. Mais quel besoin ont ces &lnp&o;&absq;gens-là uraquo; de venir gloser à la tété? et en quoi sont-ils compétents pour parler de tout ? N’ auraient-ils pas besoin d’une sérieuse analyse ?

4. sewa Bus says:

TҺis is a topic that’ѕ near tօ my heaгt… Beѕtt wiѕhes!
    Eхactly where arе your contact details though?

5. smslaen says:

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My
    site has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either authored
    myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up
    all over the internet without my authorization. Do you know any ways to help prevent content from being ripped off?
    I’d truly appreciate it.

6. Trabalhe Visual do Website – organize um editorial com
    poucos calçados e escreva sobre a importância do resultado, sua formosura, a estação do
    ano e como calçado a acompanha, quais calçados estão na moda. http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-863642914-tnis-adidas-springblade-frete-gratis-_JM

7. Admuring thee persistence you put into yur bkog and detailed information you
    offer. It’s awesome to come acrosss a blog every once in a while tnat
    isn’t the same unwanted rehashed material. Wonderful read!
    I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your RSS feeds
    to my Google account.

8. Hello sana, saya menemukan Anda situs oleh penggunaan Googgle bahkan mencari ɑ sebanding topik , Anda situs sampai di sini ,
    itu tampaknya seperti besar. Saya memiliki bookmarked ddi google bookmarks saya.

Ⲏellο ada, hanya menjadi menyadari Anda weblog
    ѵia Google, Ԁɑn menemukan yang itu adalah benar informatif.
    Saya akan diwaspadai untuk brussels. Saya akan berterima kasih jika Anda
    melanjutkan ini ɗi masa depan. Banyak orang akan diuntungkan keluar dari tulisann Anda.
    Cheers!

9. To obtain him, players must purchase a Nurtured Penguin Egg from a Kalu’ak quartermaster (Sairuk in Dragonblight or Tanaika in Howling Fjord)
    after reaching Exalted status with thee Kalu’ak.
    Purchasing the plush version of one of these mythical beasts also gets
    you a code for the in-game version which, like the Gryphon hatchling, hovers along behind you on yoir adventures.
    With a little bit of luck, players can get one or even two of these pets durjng
    a Deadmines run. So when we pet them, are they actively seeking to reduce tension, and it is not a pleasure response at all.
    However, protecting yiur pet from fleas, regardless of how muych of
    a hassle it can be, can keep your home itchy and disease free.

Theey serve as the main form of transportation in thee Easwtern Kingdoms, and caan be tamed as personnal mounts upon settting foot in the realm of Outland.

10. Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of.

I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries
    that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the
    top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal.

Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

11. putlockers says:

Sky Movies Month Cross 14 day free trial: Obtainable to new Sky Motion pictures Month
    Cross clients joining NOW TELEVISION on-line.

12. putlockers says:

To begin watching Sky Motion pictures on NOW TV, all you want is your Wi-Fi
    or a 3G/4G connection and a appropriate device.

13. What’ѕ ᥙp friends, its fantastic pоst гegarding tutoringand completely explained,
    keep it uρ all the time.

14. Iwas reading through some of your blog posts on this internet
    site and I conceive this web site is rattling instructive!

Keep on posting.